Saturday, January 15, 2011

Taco Dip

I have been working on a fascinating welcome blog to explain how I became interested in a vegan diet and why I decided to start this blog in the first place... but obviously it's taking me way too long to write it!  So, instead, I decided to just get to the point and post my first recipe. 

I'm not going to deceive myself, or my readers, by thinking this taco dip is a unique recipe.  But the idea for it came to me because of a non-vegan taco dip that my friend used to make all the time when we lived together in college.  I wasn't sure if it was going to satisfy me as much in its vegan form, so I was super surprised when it actually did!

Vegan-Style Taco Dip
Ingredients:
1 can vegetarian pinto beans salsa-style
8 oz. Tofutti cream cheese
1 packet low sodium taco seasoning
1 roma tomato, diced
6 green onion stems, diced


Directions:
Spread the beans in a layer at the bottom of a pie dish.  In another bowl, mix about half the packet of taco seasoning into the cream cheese and spread on top of the beans.  Top with diced tomato and green onion.  Serve chilled with tortilla chips!

Tips to help
  • After spreading the beans into the pie dish, put it in the freezer for 10 minutes to help set the beans for the next layer.  This way, you can spread the cream cheese easier on top.
  • Leave the cream cheese out of the refrigerator for about 10 minutes prior to mixing the taco seasoning into it.  This will help make it easier to mix and spread.
  • Place plastic wrap or foil over the dish and refrigerate the final product for 30 minutes before serving to assure it is nice and chilled.
  • I bought all my ingredients from Trader Joe's!  I love that place! 
  •  

    Up next... Bears vs. Seahawks

    3 comments:

    1. So, I'm probably going to make this tomorrow if I get a snow day. I have a half container of tofutti in the fridge right now! :) I'm going to put sliced olives on it - because I love olives.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh, the olives are a good idea. I had a can of black olives I could have sliced up to put on there but I didn't think of it! So what else do you use Tofutti in or on? This was my first experience with it and I actually thought it was good!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm warming up to the taste of it on bagels, but I think it's all in my head because Kris ate it and thought it was ok. I bought it to use when I make enchiladas. I mix some in with the sauce and bean mixture. It gives it a more cheese like texture and a richer taste.

      ReplyDelete