Saturday, February 5, 2011

Delicious Fruit Pancakes!

Growing up, my mom always made pancakes from "scratch," and they were so delicious!  Now that I have learned how to cook and bake more nutritionally, I have altered the recipe just a little.  Yes, "Mom's Favorite Pancakes" are now vegan!  But non-vegans, don't fret; my husband, who is very critical of my vegan recipes, loves these pancakes, too!!!

Apple-Cinnamon Delicious Pancakes
Delicious Fruit Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 1/3 c. whole wheat or spelt flour
3 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. turbinado cane sugar
1 1/2 c. soy, rice, or almond milk
1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 tbls. refined coconut oil (optional)
1 c. fresh fruit of choice 


Note: I've used whole blueberries, halved blackberries, and apples with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon so far, and they have been excellent each time! You don't have to use the oil; I've made them with and without it, and I can't tell a difference.


Instructions:
 Combine flour, baking powder and sugar in a small bowl.
 Pour milk into medium-sized bowl and combine flour mixture, applesauce, and oil (if using) and stir just until mixed well.
 Fold in fruit.




 Drop batter in desired amounts, usually about 1/4 c. increments, onto hot griddle (375 to 400 degrees F).
 Flip pancakes when bubbles form on top and spatula can easily be inserted under each pancake (see picture on left).





Makes 10 4-inch round pancakes. Serve with margarine (I use Earth Balance Organic Whipped) and maple/agave syrup (check "picture outtakes" at the end of blog to see products).


Variations:
If you insist on being non-nutritional, then you can substitute white flour and sugar, cow's milk, and any oil you like. Replace the applesauce with 2 eggs and leave the fruit out... it's still a good pancake recipe. Eat it with the syrup you have in your pantry that most likely contains high fructose corn syrup for all I care. But it won't be as good or as good for you!

This Morning's Picture Outtakes From Making Apple-Cinnamon Delicious Pancakes:

The flour, baking powder, and sugar mixture

I cut a Gala apple into fourths and removed the core part from each.

I used a hand chopper to chop 3/4 apple into small pieces, while I sliced the last 1/4 for garnish.

As much as I've made pancakes in my life, I'm still a terrible flipper.

Yummy!!!

Agave and Maple Syrups

No comments:

Post a Comment