Sunday, February 27, 2011

Product Review - Gardein Crispy Tenders

When I was in the Chicagoland-area last weekend, I made a trip to Whole Foods with my "wegan" friend, Kate.  As she put it, my cart looked like one of those from Oprah's Vegan Challenge.  (I swear, if I had access to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's where I lived, I could easily be completely vegan.)  Among many other things, I picked up two frozen packages of meatless products from Gardein for the first time.

One of those was Gardein's Seven Grain Crispy Tenders, which is a vegan version of a chicken strip.  It is made from a combination of soy protein, whole grains, and vegetables.  I tried them for the first time today, and they were really good!  I followed the instructions for cooking them in the oven and I felt as though they were a bit overcooked, so next time I will reduce the temperature to 350 or 375 degrees and cook for 20 minutes or so (instead of for 20 to 25 minutes at 430 degrees).  The package also indicates you can microwave them for 45 seconds first to reduce the time in the oven if you are in a hurry.

I will definitely be buying this product again as it is a good option for a quick vegan meal or snack.  Although I enjoyed them simply dipped in organic ketchup (from Trader Joe's, of course), there are many other ways this product could be used: on a salad, in a wrap, with marinara sauce and noodles, etc.

You can print a $1.00 off coupon from their website at http://www.gardein.com/ecoupon.php.

Nutrition Information:
2 tenders (1.8 oz.)
Calories 90
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated 0 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g
Trans 0 g
Cholesterol 0 g
Sodium 260 mg
Potassium 200 mg
Total Carbs 9 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 4%
Iron 15%

No comments:

Post a Comment