Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"Ice Cream"

On a day when all of Central Illinois is getting pounded with record-breaking snowfall, what is it that I want to snack on?  Why, my favorite food on the planet--ice cream!  No, not snow ice cream--that's gross--but VEGAN ice cream!

    I've researched vegan ice cream recipes pretty thoroughly, and I've actually followed through and made some of them, too!  (You know I have a pretty intense desire for ice cream when I actually get off my butt and make my very own homemade vegan ice cream.) 

    The easiest recipe I've found is just a traditional vanilla.  I'm not going to lie to you non-vegans and tell you this tastes as good as ice cream made with fatty cow's milk (so bad for you but so good!), but it does the trick when you're actually wanting to abide by the "vegan code."

    You'll need an ice cream maker to make this recipe.  I use the Cuisinart Automatic Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker (ICE-20 Series) that one of my great friends, who appreciates ice cream as much as I do, bought me for a wedding shower gift!  She might have been skeptical at how much I'd actually use it, so I'll take this time to say:  I've actually used it between 5 and 10 times now!

Vanilla Ice Cream (vegan)
Ingredients:
1 c. soy milk creamer
1 c. soy milk*
1/2 c. sugar**
2 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt***


*You can also use rice milk, almond milk, or coconut milk.
**I recommend using evaporated cane juice; it's sugar that's less refined than white, granulated sugar, and it therefore retains more of its natural nutrients.
***I like sea salt.
Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a blender until sugar is dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes.
Turn on ice cream maker and pour mixture in.
Allow ice cream maker to freeze and turn mixture until it is frozen to your likeness, usually 30 minutes or more.
Serve immediately and/or store leftovers in a plastic container in the freezer.

It'll look like this when you first pour it in ...



... it'll look like this when it's done ...


... and it'll look like this when you serve it sprinkled with ground cinnamon and agave nectar!  Yum!!!

 My husband, who is not vegan, thinks this ice cream is "really good" with the cinnamon and agave.  Try it!!  And try to stay warm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment