Friday, August 5, 2011

My story: I guess we all have our anger...

Recently I read a blog written by an individual who is vegan stating he or she is angry at the new, mainstream vegan movement because it doesn't seem to focus on the ethical reasoning behind why a person chooses to abstain from consuming animal products.  Now, before any readers of this blog get all lippy toward the blogger I am referencing, I'd like it to be known that I respect this blogger and agree on all of the points he or she makes; however, I still couldn't help but feel like some of what was being written was directed towards me.  Well, not at me personally, but at new, "wannabe" vegans such as myself; those of us who have come across the information and have changed our diets first and have not swiftly eliminated all products and activities associated with animal cruelty from our life (i.e. leather goods, visiting zoos or circuses, etc.).  And as I was reading this post about anger, I sort of became angry myself, if you will, that "real vegans" would get so upset towards a group of people for trying to learn about the issues and may be changing the entire course of his or her life habits inconsistently.

I for one know how difficult it can be to go from typical animal consumer to full-fledged vegan, even once one has read all the facts about animal cruelty, nutrition, and environmental implications.  For most of us, going vegan means challenging our entire outlook on life, everything we thought we knew, and even the things we didn't think we needed or wanted to know about how the products that we use every day are made and how the activities we support can contribute to animal suffering.  This transition, from the time one is educated until the time he or she truly does not consume products or participate in activities that torture animals and compromise our ethics, health, and environment, takes some time.  I hate to think that a person, or group of people, will be scrutinized by the very people whom he or she is looking for guidance and to whom he or she is trying to become similar in beliefs and actions.  There is enough scrutiny and anger coming from the non-vegan side because one no longer consumes like they do!

I'll be the first to admit that my journey towards veganism has been long (two and half years) and full of bumps along the way, and I'm still learning more and gaining perceptions every day.  It turns me off that a proclaimed vegan can be angry at what I represent, for not knowing what he or she has already known and for not making the changes fast enough.

But... I really think I'm being a little defensive because I am angry, too.

I'm angry that I didn't know what I know now.  I'm angry I was told that one has to consume meat and dairy to be healthy when the topic of nutrition was covered in school or at home or wherever.  I'm angry that I didn't question it and look further into it.  I'm angry that our government is in bed with the "farmers" of America whom 99% of have turned into factory farms because the demand for animal products has become so high.  I'm angry at myself for helping to create this problem for so many years and turning my back on the truth.  I'm angry at factory farms for torturing animals so they can make record profits and for creating so much fecal matter that it contaminates soil, air, water, meat, and vegetables which eventually sickens and kills humans.  I'm angry that I have to seek out and drive several hours to find different sources of food because soy protein and fruit and vegetable based foods aren't plentiful everywhere, especially where I live.  I'm angry that it feels like I can't do enough to make a difference in my lifetime.  I'm angry that some people just don't care. 

To quote the blogger, whom I look to for guidance and has inspired this reaction from me:  

"...it's perfectly natural to be angry.  It doesn't make me an angry person, it makes me angry at the situation.  Anger is an emotion that anyone can have, vegan or not.  It's what you do with that anger that's important."

I agree.  And even though I am still figuring out how all this information fits into the vegan lifestyle I want to have in order to end animal abuse, help the environment and future generations, be healthier, and become a better person, it doesn't mean I don't care or that I'm purposefully claiming to be something I'm not.  It's hard to reverse 28 years of thinking... but isn't it a step in the right direction that I am legitimately trying?  I think so. And after reading and seeing more and more, I am assured and committed as ever to help be the solution to the problem instead of part of the problem, no matter who thinks I'm crazy for believing this way or that I'm hypocritical because of my animal consuming past.  Progress has to start and continue somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment