Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Knorr's Spanish Skillet Supper (veganized)

     Trust me, I don't always make the food I eat from scratch.  Most of the time the meals I make I don't necessarily find blog worthy, because I just open up a package from the freezer and saute the contents on the stovetop or nuke them in the microwave or whatever the package calls for.  You can find plenty of vegan items to prepare this way (and I've provided links on the right side of this page to those companies who make them).  One of my favorite brands is Boca (and my husband, who is not vegan, likes them, too!).  As always, you have to read the label because not all Boca products may be vegan, but they actually have several good ones that are, including their Meatless Ground Crumbles.
     So, yesterday evening when I was looking through our kitchen trying to find something vegan to make that my husband would like -- he didn't care for the previous night's dinner so I had to think more inside the box, if you know what I mean -- I came across this package of Knorr Spanish Rice that had a recipe on the back for "Spanish Skillet Supper."  In addition to the rice, it called for ground beef, which I could easily replace with the Boca Meatless Ground Crumbles that I had in the freezer, corn, and cheese.  I'm not yet into the vegan cheese replacer products so I just chose to leave the cheese out of it.
     Moral of the story, it can be easy to "veganize" recipes that aren't specifically meant to be vegan.  You just have to be aware of your available options to do so.




Knorr's Spanish Skillet Supper (veganized)
SERVES 4
PREP TIME: 5 Minute(s)
COOK TIME: 15 Minute(s)
INGREDIENTS
1 package Boca Meatless Ground Crumbles
1-2/3 cups water
1 can (8-3/4 oz.) whole kernel corn, undrained
1 package Knorr® Fiesta Sides™ - Spanish Rice

PREPARATION
  1. Follow directions to prepare Boca Crumbles (a little oil in the pan over medium heat, get all the crumbles un-frozen from each other).
  2. Add water; bring to a boil. Stir in corn and Knorr® Fiesta Sides™ - Spanish Rice; bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until rice is tender. 
Nutritional Information*: 1 serving = 318 Calories, 2g Fat (0g Saturated, 0g Polyunsaturated, 0g Monounsaturated, 0g Trans), 0mg Cholesterol, 975mg Sodium, 645mg Potassium, 51g Total Carbs (8g Fiber, 7g Sugars), 25g Protein, 5% Vitamin A, 5% Vitamin C, 10% Calcium, 26% Iron

*Based on calculations from MyFitnessPal.com.

    *I put the cover on (vented) after the 10 minutes were up because my rice needed a little more time to get tender.*

    Voila!

    2 comments:

    1. Thanks for the good idea, but I am pretty sure that "natural flavors" in the Knorr packet is something akin to chicken bouillon.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Correct the "natural flavors" are animal derived.

      ReplyDelete